Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Radiant Historia (DS) Dragon Quest VI (DS)

I sunk a good 26 hours into Dragon Quest VI: The Subtitle hoping it would get interesting it didn't.  It almost defined how lazy Dragon Quest games can be.  You have a dream world and a real world with the same sprites, tiles, backgrounds, music, and colors.  The only thing to definerate the two is the story tells you one world is FAKE the other is REAL.    Around hour 15 the main plot drops away and the game goes, "I don't know...go do something, whatever."  Then you're left playing Dragon Quest except the little stories aren't as good as VII, it doesn't have the graphics of VIII, and your "motivation" for traveling the world isn't nearly as strong as in V.  It's the worst Dragon Quest until the day I play II.  Which is actually apparently even worse.

So I managed to stop myself from grinding and try out Radiant Historia instead.  Which also has the dual worlds element, but the story keeps you guided along and you have easy access to knowing what you are supposed to be doing at all times.  Something about it just made me run out of steam 6 hours in.  I think it was because the positives were "alright" and lack of negatives were getting by. 

I was staring at the story and 4 times in a row the solution was "learn something in the other world that had just been mentioned in that world."  At least let me feel a little bit clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment