Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sonic Colors (DS)

Sonic Colors is like Sonic Rush Adventure is like Sonic Rush is like Sonic Advance 3 is like Sonic Advance 2 is like Sonic Advance 1 is like Sonic Pocket Adventure.  It's the next portable Sonic game by Dimps that doesn't capture what was great about the original Genesis games.  I'm not sure I could even tell you what's so much better about the Genesis games, or even if there is something that is better.  Maybe nostalgia has blocked me from understanding them objectively. 

Sonic Pocket Adventure was the start and kind of a weird beast.  It had Sonic 2's levels (but not level design) and Sonic 3's music.  I'm skipped around with the series.  Sonic Advance 2 was one of the first GBA games I had, and it infuriated me that I had to find 7 magical things if I wanted to see the special stages.  The game was filled with bottomless pits and so spacious that trying to find anything felt like an obnoxious chore, and it was easier just to GO FAST.  Well, go fast into a pit.

So Sonic Colors is pretty much the same product.  It doesn't have you collecting minerals to continue the game like SRA (good) and it has no bottomless pits (BETTER!)  It still has you collecting magical things, but not for to see the bonus stages and I couldn't really figure out why.  It also has the talking between stages that I really couldn't care about.

I completed two sets of levels and their respective bosses and didn't feel like investing more time.  Sonic's back and he's bzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

No comments:

Post a Comment