Saturday, May 7, 2011

Korean Post

Now I know what impoverished Koreans eat.  Over by the hospital there is a sizable Korean community with two fullsized Korean Supermarkets.  It's kind of great.  One of them has a cafe in it, but the menu that covers the back wall didn't have Toppogi on it.

So I ended up going to the Korean Cafe next to the Korean BBQ place.  It also didn't have toppogi.  Man I wish I could of had some toppogi.

I've had a bad experience ordering Korean noodles.  In Tokyo I paid 1000 yen for Nong Shim noodles.  Just plain 50 cent Nong Shim noodles and maybe a chopstick full of kimchee.  It was infuriating.

Then in Seoul in a tourist district I ordered noodles in the dead of winter and they were cold clear noodles on ice.  Someone tell me what those clear noodles are so I can curse them to the heavens.  They have just a repulsive texture.

So in this cafe with two Korean women arguing I went with "Hot Spicy Soup."  What I got is probably a good meal in NK.  It was leeks, a raw egg cooked in a plain broth (might have been water) with a scoop of kimchee paste.

I ended up eating half my side dishes (<3 Korea) and my rice. 

I'm going to one of the other cafes in the other tomorrow, because I need my toppogi.

No comments:

Post a Comment