Sunday, July 17, 2011

Paragraphs about Movies

And we're back!  After Hours is a mostly forgotten Martin Scorsese film.  I say that as a man who is only a fan of Scorsese over how much I enjoy The Departed.  I'm pretty sure I heard about After Hours from Mark Kermode my absolute favorite movie critic.  It's a fun film!  I always enjoy stuff about people trying to escape circumstances (see: Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days.)  This film is about a man who just wants to sleep with a girl downtown, and turns into his inability to escape downtown New York.

Watching the bonus features on Shinjuku Incident I found out the whole point of the movie was probably the one thing everyone takes from the movie.  "I guess Jackie Chan can kind of act."   The problem is you're always seeing it as "Hey It's Jackie Chan as NOT an action star."  It does show Japan's illegal immigrants which I was unfamiliar with but am relatively certain are pretty similar to how they are displayed until the movie goes "what!?"  Also terrible things happen to the likable guy three scenes in a row.

Rango I saw on the plane back from Tokyo (hey I went to Tokyo for a week!)  It was better than I expected it to be.  I regretted I wasn't watching it on a huge screen where all the animals could be as disgusting and filthy as they needed to be.  Entertaining!

Source Code was perfect for watching for one dollar in a moldy theater.  I definitely felt like I got my dollar's worth out of that film.  It's not something to go out of your way to see or own for multiple viewings, but It was fun enough for my time.

The best thing I could possibly say about the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film is that since April it has been about 100 degrees Fahrenheit every day in Texas.  The film got me in a cool dark room for two hours.  As much as the settings and costumes and atmosphere carried me through to owning all three of the previous films on Bluray, I don't recommend anyone wasting their money and time on this one.  It's amateur hour with Johnny Depp.

No comments:

Post a Comment