Saturday, September 17, 2011

LA Noire (PS3) 50 Cent Blood in the Sand (PS3)

Seem like there was something right in receiving both of these games from gamefly at the same time.  Compliments and opposites.

Not going to try to make this a great narrative.  So let's start with the latter first.

50 Cent: Blood in the Sand is the second game from business man 50 Cent. 


That video about sums up my thoughts on the first one.  This new game is for NEXT-GEN consoles though.  It features even more exclusive music from 50 Cent.  I love 50 Cent.  I have no love for his music, but I find the man very good at his job (making money) and possibly unintentionally hilarious.  I can never tell if he knows how funny he is.  he named his dog Oprah and likes to tweet "Oprah's here licking herself lol".  So yeah, it's never quite clear.

A lot of people compare Blood on the Sand to The Club a game I played very little of but was very said no one was playing it online.  I'm not sure you were supposed to even play it online, but it looked like it would be a lot of fun that way.  BotS has a combo kill system that rewards you for doing well (so obviously better than Vanquish (and no that is not sarcasm.))  It never really presents you with a chance to kill more than 3 headcovered Middle Eastern Men in sports jerseys at a time.  Except for the mission where you set houses on fire and then mow down the guys as they run out screaming.  That's where I quit playing, because that was fucked up.

It was fun before that happened though!  50 Cent is paid for his concert in a compensation crystal skull which is then stolen by some sort of Arab Ninja Girl.  He must then KILL EVERYONE IN THE CITY to get his skull back.  There's a Hind-D fight.  You get one of Fity's friends as back up. His music is blaring.  I'm fairly certain 50 wrote his own dialog.  Hell maybe he wrote all the dialog, I wanted to keep playing to find out, but again that above sequence seemed like a good point to suddenly have moral doubt and quit.

It is a glorious celebration of 50.  Not many people get to have their friends and themselves as stars in a video game.  He got the opportunity TWICE.  That's twice more than Marc Ecko did!  50's game is absurd but coherent.  Ecko's was nuts.

He also has grenades on his bullet proof vest at the concert.

Then we have white bitches get murdered the video game, LA Noire.  5 hours in I was ready to quit but wanted to see how dumb the dumb resolution to the second act was.  It was dumb.  I was doing more or less the same actions every case, which yes is what reality is, but there were definitely ways they could have made the game more enjoyable doing the same things.  The interviews/interrogations hit the uncanny valley really hard.  I couldn't tell if I was to trust what I thought the people were doing or read what the programmers wanted me to choose between TRUTH, LIE, DOUBT.  Also my PC's interpretation's of those choices was frequently baffling. 

Best object holding since Shenmue.  Hell it just made me want to play Shenmue.  A common opinion I found on SB, and one that I share, is that LA Noire is something you play and then forget.  Disposable entertainment.  Actually this feels like everything you need to read about the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment