Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (PS2)

I love Jojo.  Or I love what I've experienced of Jojo.  It is a really long running manga that would easily require more than 100 hours to fully consume.  Since Capcom's game about the 5th arc was so good, I picked up this game about the 1st Arc.  It's by Bandai-Namco and specifically PS2 era BN that loved making a mediocre but faithful licensed game.  That's pretty much the deal here.

The best part was getting a very good summary/display of the 1st story arc.  It taught me who Dio Brando was before becoming an immortal vampire.  I also got to meet the first Zeppeli which is a running name/family in the series.  Like the Capcom game the voice acting is terrific and they put a lot of money into a throw away game for that at least. 

As for the game you punch a bunch.  It's got some nice cell shading but mostly you are punching a bunch then using your super attack to end the fight.  Don't expect no Godhand.  It does have some objective based levels, but mostly those reduce to punch a bunch.

It has side modes where you can play as other characters, but the fighting system isn't that deep so I didn't look into it that much.  If you play a lot you can eventually play through the story as Dio.  That's a pretty good reward, but I did the calculations and decided it wouldn't pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment