Sunday, July 28, 2013

Blockbuster Rentals in 2013

Since I'm leaving the states (semi) soon and it is illegal to rent games I went on down to Blockbuster and rented some games.  Unlike the rest of America there are still 3 blockbusters within 15 minutes of my house.  They all have the creepying smell of death about them though.

Halo 4
Sure was Halo-y.  I still do not like the action figure feel of Halo.  I don't know why I keep trying this series.  I know the multiplayer is actually where it is at, but I hate the action figure feel.  It is a very deliberate feel that (For bungie at least) is exactly how they wanted it to feel.  I could barely feel whatever changes 343 brought to the whole thing as a non-superfan.  It had some pretty visuals and watching all the spartan-ops cutscenes on youtube made me go "I'll watch that Halo TV series!"

DmC Devil May Cry 
 was a pretty cool looking game that the misogyny and terrible fucking writing and the stupdity just wore at me.  Holy shit does this game not like women.  Once again Ninja Theory has that "strong" female character that has serious issues and just needs a strong man to make everything right/rescue them.  Also they say the dumbest fucking lines in history.

Two characters say "I know this place like the back of my hand."  I think it is in subsequent levels.  How bad do you have to be at writing/editting a script not to catch that.  There's lots of detail lavished on the world look and dante's move list (not so much on enemy design.)

It would be offensive if it wasn't such trash.

Hitman:Absolution 
I did plan to buy this game at some point to support IO Interactive.  Then that stuff happened with them and it didn't matter.  I know people are up in arms about it not being hitman-y enough but I got to the 3rd mission and quit because it was just like hitman to me and I couldn't give a crap about anything.

Metal Gear Rising Revengence
The official thread for this is filled with the MG nerds MGnerding it up (s'up guys).  It was fun to read that stuff, even if they were all ultimately overcompensating for the nonsense plot.  I played this after DmC so basically anything looked like fucking literature.  I loved quiton flynn after the change over.  I've been using that voice all week. It is a voice everyone can do.  It was weird playing a stylish action game without a dodge or a block button.  By virtue of not pissing me off after I die (Bayonetta) I'd call it Platinum's best game.

I wanted to box more in this game.  I was dissappointed when I stood in front of sexy girl poster and no one on the codec noticed.  I didn't feel a need to play it any more after beating it.

What I'm saying is I'm insane and would rather play Ninja Gaiden 3 over and over again.  I think that game does a better job with "you enjoy all the killing."  I haven't played another game of the stylish action genre where it feels better to press buttons.  It feels SO GOOD to press buttons in that game.  It is on my short list of games to buy again once I am settled.  Man now I'm going to go download Ninja Gaiden 3 demo again just to play level one a couple of times.  I will have a better time with that than any of these games that I do not regret renting.

I'm also debating renting Skyward Sward.

No comments:

Post a Comment