Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Spring Breakers and Pain & Gain

I'm still passively avoiding Django Unchained but I'll head on down to the local living dinosaur Blockbuster and rent some movies about violence in Florida.

I've seen very little Michael Bay.  I remember seeing Transformers 1.  I remember very little about it outside of the painful 3 minutes about Lebouf's parents talking to him about masturbating.  I know he may or may not be the devil, though I haven't personally confirmed.

Pain and Gain is


In the first twenty minutes I thought "I'll buy this and put it on my shelf."  An hour and a half later I didn't still have the view, even if I ended up with a positive view of the film.  Dwayne Johnson is still an amazing comedic actor in the style of Chaplin that few recognize for it.

My biggest complaint is the complaint with modern film. Look at that shot.  ORANGE AND TEAL.  All the orange and the tealest teal.  Everyone wears a teal shirt.  It's getting more and more obnoxious.  I was sick of it 2 years ago. I'm sick of it now.

The film kept reminding me of Wong Kar Wai with all the voice overs.  Internal monologues from many of the characters.  As I'm gearing up to leave America for a very long time, it felt very "This is America.  These are Americans."

Eventually the characters start acting dumber than they did in the beginning and it feel like the script lost focus instead of the characters being idiots.

Good Lord! Spring Breakers  is beautifully shot.  It is a gorgeous film.  It also probably could be cut down to an hour (from 93 minutes) with nothing lost.  A lot of footage is shown over and over.  While this could be thought of as reflective, no probably not.  It is absolutely worth seeing.

I will sit on my thoughts on it today.  I'll revisit this if I decide to buy the bluray.  It gave me a lot of the same vibes as Drive.  Hpph.  I thought I could talk about it more, but guess I need more time.

EDIT: One of the final shots is Biloxi Bridge from my hometown.  THAT'S NOT FLORIDA I screamed.  Both films remind me I do love the Gulf Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment