Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ys Seven (PSP) and Ys III (Genesis) Conclusions

I went back and finished Ys Seven when I didn't think I would.  The final boss's first form was a complete time draining bastard.  I ended up leveling up mindlessly for an hour, thus making him slightly less time consuming.  I also discovered I can charge attacks.  I had made it through the whole game without doing as much.  Charging attacks is the fastest way to get SP which lets you do special attacks for massive damage.

There's also parrying and blocking the game which I very rarely used, because I just used the dodge roll constantly.  Their are a few bosses you are supposed to parry against, and I did use it against those, but parrying in games is for the most part a misguided science that eludes me most of the time.  Given the camera angle and the way you move in Ys Seven , it's even more just not worth it (until you have too.)  Because if you parry at the wrong time, you're going to take double damage.

That sound great to you?

Like everyone else, I found the game had too much anime/plot bullshit that I didn't care about and was distracting me from murdering giant monsters.  It's actually pretty depressing the game doesn't even have a boss rush mode...or really any bonuses at all.

The first couple of hours are actually pretty great.  With you murdering giant monsters while dodging their giant attacks.  Then the game introduces a guy from Ys Six (haven't played), that the world is going to end, and that you need to go back through all the dungeons you just went through AND your warp system has reset.  It's not quite as bad as Devil May Cry 4 in terms of repeating itself, but you can't help but feel gypped/getting jerked around.

The bosses in the second go around aren't nearly as good either.  Also the overworld theme in the first half is this and in the second half this.  Then there is this song, which is used way too little.

I hated going through the dungeons because they weren't as good as the boss battles, and J-RPG dungeon puzzles are always brain-dead.  The story wasn't that good.  Honestly the most impressive thing the game does is right after you get off the boat you can run up and the camera will pan down to show this skyline and a giant statue in the bay.  You don't see it anywhere else and it isn't important.  It uses this shot again in the same dock to show an island you know you are going to go to later.  It was such an inspired camera angle that they really don't ever use again.

In other Ys news, I played Ys III (Genesis).  That game is precisely 90% Grind.  Ys III is the bastard child of the series, as a side-scroller as opposed to overhead.  I played it mostly to decide whether I wanted to get Ys Oath of Felegana (PSP) a remake into a normal Ys game of Ys III.  The result: I don't know maybe?  Ys III soundtrack wasn't the god's gift I was told it was going to be, and I honestly didn't like any of the soundtrack that much.  I thought Ys I and II and Ys Seven had better soundtracks.  It wasn't like the soundtrack was bad, just completely unmemorable.  The most memorable thing I gained from Ys III were some cool backgrounds to the stages, and YOU GOT HARB.

I'm pretty sure the PSP Remake don't got HARB.  I'll pick you the Ys I and II PSP set though, because that has got to be excellent running into dudes times.  No attack button, just running into dudes.  And maybe they fixed the first 2 dungeons in Ys II which are considerably worse than the fantastic 3 dungeons in Ys I.

No comments:

Post a Comment