Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pineapple Express (David Gordon Green) and Once Upon A Time in America (Sergio Leone)

The only thing these two films have in common is that I turned off both of them an hour in. 

I liked Superbad.  I thought it was hiliarious.  The dialog was clever and it never really dragged.  Pineapple Express like Step Brothers features completely insane human beings.  That's fine, but as soon as the main character recognizes the person is insane merely by going, "What?" and looking confused you've lost me.  That's not a reaction, that's the audience's reaction.  It's also not comedy or drama.  You're allowing these insane characters to exist in a vacuum within the main plot.  PE has wildly different genres hitting each other at full speed and there isn't an explosion.  They just cancel each other out. 

I turned it off when a truancy officer arrests our stoner main characters after a completely pointless scene in which they sell weed to kids and then have a dance off.   The MC then explains what has happened to him to that point, and the other stone attempts to rescue him after the police officer decides to help him.

I've never cared for films in which idiots screw themselves in the face of salvation. I prefer when their fuckups prevent ever coming into contact with salvation.  There's also a scene where a man, upon deciding that his daughter's boyfriend is high gets his shotgun and opens fire on the man in his own kitchen.

And just read the wikipedia plot summary.  Holy shit glad I got out.  I forgot to mention this movie is over two hours long.  It has a nice trailer though.



Oh that dumpster scene is like 2 minutes long.

Once Upon A Time in America I had high hopes for.  It's Sergio Leone, making a movie about New York Gangsters instead of a western.  It's the last movie he made!  It's gotta be great.  It's...4 hours long.  I actually watched the first 20 minutes of disc 2 before even realizing it was disc 2. 

It was kind of discordant mess.  It starts with them shooting a friend of theirs.  Then Robert DeNiro asks if James Woods wants to go for a swim.  Then DeNiro drives the car off a pier.  End of scene.  Next scene a union guy is getting tortured and DeNiro and Woods save him.

Then I started disc one.  It was an hour of DeNiro and a teenager playing DeNiro being sad.  After an hour I didn't care.  I was waiting for something that I cared about to happen.  It didn't.  I'm curious if the 90 minute butchered version is actually a better film.  I tried to talk to people saying I turned it off after an hour, and they yelled at me and would do nothing towards making me watch the other 3 hours outside of ridicule. 

Yeah that was going to change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment