Monday, August 22, 2011

Spraynard - "Funtitled"

The page where you can download Spraynard - "Funtitled" for free famously declares it's the punk album of the decade.  After furiously listening to this record since a few weeks after it's release non-stop, I agree.  Then again I agreed around the 5th time I listened to it.

I kept planning on writing something about this album.  I also planned on going to their show, which was the day after the return from my short notice trip back to Tokyo.  If I hadn't been dead I'd have gone.  I still regret not going to the show so I could shove fifty dollars into the hands of the band go THAT was worth it.

The album channels the dead ghosts of my favorite era of Punk music, mid to late nineties Fat Wreck.  It also comes with growing up since then.  Every song doesn't have to be intro-verse1-chorus-verse2-chorus-breakdown-chorus.  These men are master craftsmen of a punk rock song.  Songs often have the chorus only once.  They know exactly when to stop playing. 

It's also the first album to make me nostalgic for high school, as opposed to missing the people I knew in high school.  It dredged up good memories in the ways that I'm usually hung up and more strongly remember the bad.

It also has the lyric, "I'm a White Suburban Male, and I still blame everything else when I fail." 

I hope I'm one day again surrounded by friends that are as good as the ones in Spraynard's songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment