Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pulseman (Megadrive)

Pulseman is known for being one of the few games that GameFreak made before they became the Pokemon game making company.  It got a Wii Virtual Console release against all odds which I'll totally buy if I ever own a Wii.  (Probably not going to happen.)

It's got great sprites and occasionally gorgeous areas.  The electronic worlds are a little sparse.  Most of the bosses are great and clever and the voice samples are catchphras worthy.

It's got a problem them.  There's this part in stage 4.  It's like some hideous asshole Sonic hack.  You have to spin around these orbs and move ever higher and to the right.  You spin around these tiny orbs way too fast.  It's a screaming match because you can't predict when to hit jump.  You're just spinning and hitting buttons and praying it'll be over.  The thought of playing that section again fills me with rage.  Some of the later stages are great!  The lead up to that part wouldn't take 30 minutes.  But thinking of going through that stage again and any good feelings I have for Pulseman evaporate and are replace with screaming.

Also while I was playing Pulseman on my PSP Lighting struck a tree outside.  That lightning strike killed my desktop computer, my router, and every Time Warner modem on my block.  It was also right after I beat level 4.

1 comment: