Monday, March 21, 2011

Bare Knuckle 3 (Megadrive), Valis I (Megadrive)

I've finally played Bare Knuckle 3/Streets of Rage 3 .  I'd some how avoided playing it all these years.  Maybe because Streets of Rage never set my mind on fire, despite how much I love Yuzo Koshiro.  Between 2 and 3 and hell between 1 and 2 there are hardly any new enemies, and you'll fight the same enemies maybe slightly less than you would in 2 and 1.  Well, Bare Knuckle 3 has the horrible walking gay stereotype as the first mid-boss.

Also evident in that video is how much more empty the backgrounds are in BK3.  Streets of Rage 2 has some lovely backgrounds, and for some people excellent music.  BK3's music is well strange.  It also has a stage set in a nightclub which is accurately annoying as being in a nightclub.  If it had been a PC game BK3 would be BK2's inferior map pack.

Even if you get to play as a Kangaroo.  Wait.  That sort of proves my point.  Also the bulldozer section is just complete bullshit.

Valis is a series I've never gotten into.  I figured I should start the schoolgirl with a sword series from the beginning.  HG101 has already done an excellent job talking about the series.  I played until I had to continue against an enemy that seemed like it could kill me at it's convenience. The mechanics aren't type enough for what the game asks you to dodge, and trying to play it safe would cause every boss to drag-on for minutes.  Every other boss battle got by just fine with attrition.  GameFAQs tells me I was on the right track, but I was dying before I could use it.  It wasn't exactly a Treasure game.

2 comments:

  1. When you say you played Bare Knuckle 3/Streets of Rage 3, did you play a physical cartridge of BK3, a physical cartridge of SoR3, or a patched version of BK3 which accurately translates it into English?

    There were some fairly big changes when BK3 became SoR3 for its US release. Supposedly this translation of BK3 is meant to be the definitive version - had it for ages on my to play list. Might be time to finish it.

    http://archive.rpgclassics.com/subsites/twit/bk3/bk3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played an emulated copy of BK3(J).

    ReplyDelete