Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sands of Destruction (DS)

Let's get real for a second guys.  <b>Sands of Destruction</b> is some bullshit.  It led me in with a nice twist "Destroy the World instead of save it" but it dropped that plot thread real fast to have me go through some dungeons and caves and swamps.  There's a second pause between each spoken line of dialog, a lot of that dialog is laughably bad.  It's got Mitsuda doing the soundtrack but after hour 3 I just didn't even care that the winning battle theme is pretty much the same as the Chrono Trigger winning battle theme.

Then the battle system is incomprehensible.  I don't mean like a SaGa game, where there are wire-fu mathetics going on in the background.   I just fought a boss that got EIGHT TURNS IN A ROW.  I couldn't even tell what counted as a turn.  He had a move that gave him MORE TURNS.  He could also attack me during that same turn.  It's like when you're fighting Ryu online and they do a combo that takes away 60% of your life and then they focus attack you and do the combo for less damage and you go "why am I even bothering" and go to the bathroom mid match.

Oh, and it has frequent random battles that eventually become soul draining in the actual maze of levels.  That's why I didn't even care I was listening to Mitsuda. 

This boss I'm stopping the game at, because I <i>deserve</i> better in entertainment, was right after a boss that would get seven turns in a row and he didn't even have special "give me turns" move.  Like I would look on the chart and my MURDEROUS TEDDY BEAR would be next, but nope!  fuckwad with terrible voice actor gets another turn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment